The Senior Imaging Scientist will utilize expertise in image processing and computer vision and contribute as a member of a highly collaborative team of senior engineers and scientists on initiatives pertaining to the development of imaging technology for Digital Pathology.
- Research and design new and robust algorithms for image segmentation, registration, detection and estimation in digitized pathology slides.
- Provide leadership in selecting new research directions and coordination in execution of the team technical goals.
- Design and develop innovative algorithms for quantitative analysis of histopathology images.
- Design, develop and test high-performance analysis engine that can interface with multiple applications.
- Utilize skills in C/C++, C# and .Net to work on the infrastructure and applications for analysis of digital pathology images.
- Develop libraries, applications and algorithms for analysis of small and large histopathology images.
- Building a scalable system capable of handling huge amounts of data with a large user base.
- Provide technical and/or professional coordination and leadership in the execution of day-to-day program activities, as appropriate to Ventana Digital Pathology objectives.
- Collaborate with other technical staff in R&D related to areas such as infrastructure applications, storage and archival systems, and analysis engines.
- Collaborate with other members of the project team to meet defined scientific and technical needs, expectations and goals.
- Proactively recommend, and execute tasks and strategies in support of Roche’s various product requirements. Partner throughout the research, development and product lifecycle with other business units within Roche Pharma and Diagnostics.
- Provides technical direction, mentorship, guidance and feedback to others.
- Other duties as may be assigned by management in the pursuit of the operational goals of Ventana Digital Pathology.
Desired Skills and Experience
Formal Training/Education: Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Biomedical engineering, Computer Science or related fields.
- At least 2 years of R&D experience (at Sr level must have industry experience, academic only is not sufficient for a senior level) in one or more of the following topics: image processing, computer vision and Medical Image Analysis (Microscopy, CT, X-ray)
- Product development experience with a focus on data analysis.
- Proven track record for innovations in problems solving and analysis
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent problem solving, analytical skills and practical experience in vision problems, large datasets and in developing robust and adaptive algorithms.
- Broad academic background in multi-dimensional signal processing, statistical pattern recognition and machine learning.
- Proficient in Matlab, C++ and experienced in object oriented software design and development.
- Familiarity with GPU-based (CUDA etc.) and other parallel programming technologies to develop computationally efficient algorithms is a plus.
- Understanding of digital pathology.
- Excellent knowledge of image processing and understanding, Machine Vision, and Pattern Recognition.
- Practical knowledge of Machine Learning based methods and techniques.
- Demonstrates success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought.
- Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents; writes independently; evaluates the writing of others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Ventana Medical Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
About this company
Ventana Medical Systems, Inc., a member of the Roche Group, innovates and manufactures instruments and reagents that automate tissue processing and slide staining for cancer diagnostics. VENTANA solutions are used in clinical histology and drug development research laboratories worldwide.
The company’s intuitive, integrated staining and workflow management platforms that optimize laboratory efficiencies to reduce errors – support diagnosis and inform treatment decisions for anatomic pathology professionals.
Together with Roche, Ventana is driving personalized healthcare through accelerated drug discovery and the development of “companion diagnostics” to identify the patients most likely to respond favorably to specific therapies.
Visit www.ventana.com to learn more.